“The need for imagination, a
sense of truth and a feeling
of responsibility- these three
forces are the very nerve of
Welcome! If you are inherently kind, gentle and patient, feel strongly about living in resonance with our planet, have a deep love for children and view caring for them and spending time with them as an absolute honor and gift, we would love to hear from you!
Please take some time exploring our website, especially our Sweet River Bamboo Team pages, to ensure you would be a good fit for our program, and our program for you!
We enjoy hiring teachers who have an existing relationship with us. If you are interested in becoming a teacher in our community, check out our “Areas of Interest” below and consider contacting us to offer your volunteering or substituting services to initiate the process of us getting to know each other.
Please look us up on Indeed to discover our currently open positions.
You will need to be enrolled in the Central Background Registry before you begin. You must have this process started before you apply. It is free, simple and the first of two steps can be done online. To begin the process please visit: Oregon Early Learning Division.
You will need to complete food handler’s card, Infant toddler First Aid + CPR, Intro to Health and Safety, Prevention is Better than Treatment, Safe Sleep, Foundations for Learning, and Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse within 30 days of employment.
The Ideal candidate will:
- Be in CURRENT healthy physical, emotional and mental shape.
- Have a thorough understanding of child development.
- Be able to work with other lead and co-teachers with grace and cooperation.
- Have an ability/interest to connect with children “heart to heart” in a loving way.
- Be able to lift 10-35lbs (children and classroom materials) in routine intervals throughout the day.
- Have a regular CURRENT weekly practice that connects you to your mind/body/spirit. like yoga, singing, dancing, running, climbing, swimming, music making…it doesn’t matter what it is as long as it makes you feel alive, happy, nourished and is an established practice.
- Have healthy self-care skills.
- Be punctual and dependable.
- Be understanding of the energetic quality by which a Waldorf inspired program for the young child is conducted.
- Be patient and appreciate/use humor in difficult situations (needed in this line of work!)
- Be a good communicator and fluent in non-violent communication.
- Have a good sense of one’s own body awareness. The non-verbal communication the very young child receives from its caregivers is so important. Our “lessons” to them begin with how we present and carry ourselves in the classroom.
- Have an interest and appreciation for being part of a mindful school community.
Areas of Interest:
If you are an artist, musician, dancer, multilingual, singer, herbalist, have great nature skills or love to cook- your interests, skills and passions would be greatly utilized at Sweet River Bamboo! The curriculum is created based on the skills and interest of all involved, parents, children and teachers alike. There is interest and room for input and collaboration.